The DRC General Elections are set for Wednesday, December 20, 2023 and will include simultaneous voting for the President, members of the National Assembly, elected provincial assembly members, and municipal councils.
The ECF-SADC has deployed an observation mission for the Democratic Republic of Congo’s elections set to take place on December 20, 2023. The Mission is led by the Honourbale Justice Dr. Chifundo Kachale, Chairman of the Malawi Electoral Commission, deputized by Commissioner Dr. Nomsa Masuku from the Electoral Commission of South Africa . The Mission comprises 28 members representing eight member commissions namely , Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Botswana, Angola, Lesotho, South Africa, and Zimbabwe. . The mission is scheduled to operate from December 10 to December 24, 2023.
The Mission has a programme of activities which amongst others include paying courtesy visit to Commission Electorale Independante (CENI-DRC), engaging local stakeholders and meetings with other observer missions.
The ECF-SADC Observer Mission operates with the following Terms of Reference:
- to assess the preparedness of the CENI -DRC to conduct elections.
- To observe the extend to which the 2018 recommendations have been implemented
- to observe the pre-election environment and to examine the conditions in which the election are taking place;
- to observe the conduct of the election itself; and,
- to evaluate the electoral process and make recommendations that will contribute to the improvement of the process in DRC .
The Mission will issue a Preliminary Statements on its Observations and a final report at the conclusion of the electoral processes.