The Electoral Commissions Forum of SADC countries (ECF-SADC) is an independent regional organization in which each country of the SADC region is represented by its electoral management body. The ECF-SADC members include the electoral management bodies of 14 SADC countries-namely; Angola, Botswana, DRC, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Seychelles, South Africa, Eswatini, Tanzania, Zambia, Zanzibar and Zimbabwe. The Forum has been in place since July 1998, and it has played an important role in ensuring that the management of elections in the SADC countries is improved and in building the capacity of election management bodies to fulfill their roles.
Amongst other objectives, the ECF-SADC aims to:
- Strengthen co-operation amongst Electoral Commissions in the Southern African Development Community; and
- Promote conditions conducive to credible and transparent elections in the SADC region.
The ECF-SADC Secretariat is based in Gaborone, Botswana.
Program Officer; Programmes, Research and Development
Suitably qualified, experienced Botswana Citizens are invited to apply for the above position.
Applications should accompany the following:
- a) a short covering letter stating the position applied for and relevant qualifications, experience and competencies;
- b) an updated curriculum vitae;
- c) certified copies of your degree(s), Diploma(s) and Certificate(s)
Job Summary; Overview
Working very closely with and under the overall supervision of the Executive Secretary, the Program Officer – Programmes, Research and Development will be responsible for all aspects of the programmes to ensure timely delivery of projects at country level and in the SADC region. This will include project planning, project implementation, research and evaluation in line with the organization’s standards and other relevant requirements.
Program Officer; Programmes , Research and Development is responsible for the day to day running of the Forum Programmes, Research & Development programs and strategies , including ; Identifying member commissions developmental needs, Designing Developing and rolling out programmes, Monitoring and Evaluating the effectiveness of programmes, keeping records and archives of research studies reports, Conducting research, managing stakeholders , Conducting pre and post-election fieldwork initiatives , Contribute to program publications, taking responsibility for their production and distribution.
Collecting and interpreting data from EMBs in the SADC region, establishing partnerships with research institutes and institutions of higher learning, participate in policy development activities of the forum, supervise other Secretariat Staff in the performance of their duties; and perform such other functions as may from time to time be determined by the Secretariat.
Essential Requirements, Skills & Expertise
- Bachelor of Social Sciences (Demography, Research or related field)
- A master’s degree is an added advantage
- At least five years research experience at a supervisory level in an organisation, preferably in a mandate driven Research Institute
- Competence in program management
- Ability to work in a politically non-partisan manner
- Knowledge of budgeting and report writing
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills in English
- Strong problem solving and leadership skills
- Ability to work with diverse and multi-disciplinary teams
- Excellent time-management and organizational skills
- Critical performance areas include; Research and Programme development, rollout and monitoring, Research Institute relations, International research capability and Development of Strategic plans and relations.
- Successful candidate must have demonstrable experience in democracy, governance and election fields and expert knowledge and understanding of politics and elections in the SADC region. This is a non-negotiable requirement for the position.
- Two (2) year employment contract
- Monthly salary of $ 1,104.64
- 15% housing allowance
- Fixed fuel & Communication allowance
- 50% medical contribution by employer
To apply, please submit your application to email@example.com.
Closing date: 15th September, 2021.
Only short-listed candidates will be responded to.